Friday, December 5, 2008

The Reason for the season...

Is Jesus! I hope we all pause to remember God's greatest Gift to us... I, like so many others can get caught up in the whole hub-bub of the Christmas season and forget the whole focus of the reason we celebrate this blessed holiday. Decorating, gift buying, food, parties, etc. can all take center stage, when all we really need to do is thank God for sending His Son to the world to be our Savior. Don't get me wrong, all that stuff isn't bad at all. We just need to keep everything in proper perspective. Which brings me to my next point: We will not be doing "santa" at our house. I know, you must all be thinking "evil" mommy, not wanting to let my kid believe in Santa. Of course we will "play" santa, and tell Matthew about the story, but that is what it will be, a cute fun story for Christmas time. Just like the Easter Bunny is a fun character for Easter. Here are my other reasons for not "doing" Santa:
  • It basically is lying to your kid, no matter how you slice it, and I don't like the idea of lying to my kid.
  • I don't want anything to take the focus off of Jesus and His wonderful story of coming to earth, being born in a manger, etc..., and a kid so focused on Santa coming, can sometimes lose focus of the Reason for the season.
  • I wouldn't want any confusion between the Santa story not being real, and the story of Christ being real when they are old enough to start understanding.
  • It was how I was raised, and believe me, my brother and I looked forward to Christmas morning just as much as any other kid!
  • You shouldn't have to hold being good for "santa" over your kids if they are misbehaving before Christmas...we should expect good behavior year round!
To sum up: Santa- a fun Christmas time story, but not real in our household...
OK, now I am off my soap box. I hope I haven't offended too many people with my rambling! Just putting in my two cents into the blog world...lol :o)

No comments: