I made these fabulous and yummy muffins for our Halloween Playdate we had Friday morning. The streusel topping totally makes the muffin. I definitely will be making these again.
Pumpkin Banana Streusel Muffins
(from The Crepes of Wrath)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
3/4 cup mashed bananas (about 2 small bananas)
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
streusel topping (recipe follows)
turbinado sugar (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Then add in the vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin, and yogurt. Mix until combined well, scraping down the sides of your bowl.
3. Gradually mix the flour mixture in with the banana mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly combined. Don’t over mix!
4. Prepare your muffin tins (Be sure to spray your pan with Pam if you aren’t using muffin cups). Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup, then sprinkle a teaspoon or two of streusel topping over the batter (recipe follows). Top off with a little less than 1 teaspoon of turbinado/raw sugar over top of that. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the muffins are golden and set. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
1. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Place the butter into the flour and with clean hands, mix the butter in with the flour until crumbs/clumps have formed.