Friday, January 18, 2013

Summer Sausage and Cheese Pie


This is a super yummy yet simple savory pie.  This recipe comes from my friend Natalie, and I knew I had to make it when I saw her post a picture of it on Facebook one day.  Boy is it ever good!  Who knew that summer sausage, muenster cheese, and eggs would be so divine together.   The bonus is my super picky 4 year old gave me the best compliment ever while eating this meal.  He said:  "Mommy, this is the best meal EVER!"...I'll take it!

Here is what you will need...(Again, blessed to live near Wisconsin where good sausage and cheese abound!)  I also used refrigerated pie shells out of convenience, but feel free to make your own homemade if you want.

Unwrap your sausage.  I also halved it so it was easier to slice.

Slice it into quarter inch pieces...

Place one pie shell in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate, and place half of the sausage slices on the bottom...

Next, layer half of your cheese that is also sliced...

Repeat layers on more time with the remaining sausage and cheese...

Whisk together 7 eggs, and the yolk of the 8th egg.  Save the white of the 8th egg to brush on top of the pie. Then gently pour the eggs over the cheese and sausage layers...

After you place the top pie layer and crimp the edges together, brush the top of the pie with the egg white.

Cut some slices in the top of the pie for venting.  Here is my attempt of a "flower"...ha.  I have also carved our name on the top too...make it fun! :)

Bake it at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes...(I have found that it takes the full hour in my oven.)

Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then slice and enjoy!

Serve with a nice salad for a great meal...

Summer Sausage and Cheese Pie

12 oz. Summer Sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 lb. of Muenster Cheese, sliced
8 Eggs, divided (White of 8th egg saved for brushing on top.)
2 Pie Shells (Pre-made refrigerated or homemade!)

Start by placing one pie shell in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Place half of the sausage on the bottom of the pie.  Then layer half of the cheese slices.  Repeat layer with remaining sausage and cheese.  Beat your eggs, and gently pour over the sausage and cheese layers.  Place the top layer of pie shell over the pie and crimp the edges to seal.  Brush top of pie with lightly beaten egg white.  Cut slits on top of pie to vent.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes (Usually takes the full hour).  I also put the pie on a pan in the oven in case there is "overflow".  Let it sit for 5-10 minutes after baking before slicing.

Enjoy!

Pin It

1 comment:

Alex said...

Wow, thanks for the recipe! That pie looks so enticing.  I doubt my baking skills, but since the pie seems easy enough to make and you made the instructions simple enough to follow, I’ll give it a shot. Just need to buy the ingredients for this pie that reminds me so much of the folks back home.

Alex Staff