Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chick Pea Salad

I made this salad this past week for a going away party for a dear friend who is a vegetarian.  I love the two different types of beans, and cheese in it.  I got the recipe from my hair dresser who said to chill it for an hour or two with the dressing...I found that was too long since it was pretty wilted by party time (my inner cook should have told me so!), but I think chilling it for 20-30 minutes would be good.  It still had excellent flavors!


Chick Pea Salad

3 cups red leaf/romaine lettuce, sliced thin and cut up a bit 
1 container cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped black olives
3 oz. monterey jack cheese (or cheddar and monterey jack combo), cubed small

Dressing:
1 heaping tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.  In another bowl whisk dressing ingredients until well combined.
Toss salad with dressing, and chill for 20-30 minutes before serving.

No comments: